Immunology Seminar, Riitta Veijola
November 23 at 14-15
Riitta Veijola, University of Oulu and Oulu University Hospital
Type 1 Diabetes Prediction and Prevention (DIPP) Study – what have we learned?
Host: Riitta Lahesmaa (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Register latest November 22nd at:
Zoom link and iCalendar invitation to join the online event will be sent to all registered participants one day before the event.
Immunology seminar series is jointly organised by the Finnish Society for Immunology, InFLAMES Flagship and Turku Bioscience. For further information contact Anne Lahdenperä (email@example.com) or Riitta Lahesmaa (firstname.lastname@example.org), University of Turku.
Dr. Riitta Veijola is Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Oulu and Oulu University Hospital. She has basic clinical training in pediatrics and pediatric endocrinology and has a strong track record in type 1 diabetes research. She received her medical degree (1985) and PhD degree (1996) at the University of Oulu, after which she did her specialty degree in Pediatric Endocrinology.
Since 2001, Riitta Veijola has been responsible for the Finnish Type 1 Diabetes Prediction and Prevention (DIPP) Study, which is an ongoing large prospective study at three university hospitals (Turku, Oulu and Tampere) in Finland since 1994. The DIPP study currently has appr. 6000 children aged 0-15 years in Finland. Together with the researchers in the DIPP Study Riitta Veijola has published more than 200 papers on genetics, prediction and pathogenesis of type 1 diabetes.
- Anand V, Li Y, Liu B, Ghalwash M, Koski E, Ng K, Dunne JL, Jönsson J, Winkler C, Knip M, Toppari J, Ilonen J, Killian MB, Frohnert BI, Lundgren M, Ziegler AG, Hagopian W, Veijola R, Rewers M; T1DI Study Group. Islet Autoimmunity and HLA Markers of Presymptomatic and Clinical Type 1 Diabetes: Joint Analyses of Prospective Cohort Studies in Finland, Germany, Sweden, and the U.S. Diabetes Care 2021 Jun 23:dc201836. doi: 10.2337/dc20-1836. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34162665.
- Ilonen J, Lempainen J, Veijola R. The heterogeneous pathogenesis of type 1 diabetes mellitus. Nat Rev Endocrinol 2019;15:635-650. doi:10.1038/s41574-019-0254-y.
- Koskinen MK, Lempainen J, Löyttyniemi E, Helminen O, Hekkala A, Härkönen T, Kiviniemi M, Simell O, Knip M, Ilonen J, Toppari J, Veijola R. Class II HLA Genotype Association with First Phase Insulin Response Is Explained by Islet Autoantibodies. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2018 Aug 1;103(8):2870-2878. doi: 10.1210/jc.2017-02040.
- Hekkala A, Ilonen J, Toppari J, Knip M, Veijola R. Ketoacidosis at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes: effect of prospective studies with newborn genetic screening and follow-up of risk children. Pediatric Diabetes 2018;19:314-319. doi: 10.1111/pedi.12541.
- Helminen O, Aspholm S, Pokka T, Hautakangas MR, Haatanen N, Lempainen J, Ilonen J, Simell O, Knip M, Veijola R. HbA1c Predicts Time to Diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes in Children at Risk. Diabetes 2015;64:1719-27. doi: 10.2337/db14-0497.