Professor Matej Orešič, Ph.D.
matej.oresic [at] utu.fi
P.O. Box 123, BioCity
(Street addr. Tykistökatu 6 B)
FIN-20521 Turku, Finland
Phone: +358 44 972 6094
Email: matej.oresic [at] utu.fi
Description of the Research
Systems medicine combines both systems biology and computational modelling to bring together physiological, genetic, environmental, molecular and biochemical interactions to advance the field of medicine. We focus on metabolomics applications in biomedical research and related integrative bioinformatics. We are particularly interested in the identification of vulnerabilities to disease associated with metabolic phenotypes and the underlying mechanisms linking these vulnerabilities to the development of specific disorders and their co-morbidities. Such in-depth understanding of metabolic phenotypes in health and disease is crucial to enable the development of personalised medicine. Professor Orešič developed the popular MZmine open source project, a now popular software application for metabolomics data processing.
Main Ongoing Research Projects
- EU Horizon Europe collaborative project (1/2023 – 12/2028): Inflammation in human early life: targeting impacts on life-course health (INITIALISE) – Coordinator (Oresic)
- Academy of Finland: Human exposure to per- and poly-fluoroalkyl substances – role of the gut microbiome and bile acid metabolism in mediating impact (PFASgut) – PI (Oresic)
- Collaborative project, Innovative Medicines Initiative: Translational approaches to disease modifying therapy of type 1 diabetes- HARVESTing the fruits of INNODIA (INNODIA HARVEST) – Participant (Oresic)
- COST action CA19105, Horizon 2020 Programme. LipidNET- Pan-European Network in Lipidomics and Epilipidomics. Working Group leader (Oresic), Clinical significance and applications of (epi)lipidomics
- Academy of Finland (Postdoctoral Research project): Metabolomics meet gut microbiome. A stepping stone towards type 1 diabetes prediction and prevention – PI (Lamichhane)
- Vetenskapsrådet: Blood-based metabolomics to predict severity and patient outcomes in traumatic brain injury – PI (Oresic)
- Collaborative project, EU Horizon 2020 Innovative Medicines Initiative: Liver Investigation: Testing Marker Utility in Steatohepatitis (LITMUS) – Metabolomics Task Force leader (Oresic)
Honors and Awards
Lifetime Honorary Fellow award to M. Orešič (2016, Metabolomics Society), in recognition of his groundbreaking development of metabolomics data processing tools and powerful analytical methods that have enabled systems-level investigations of processes that lead to obesity and diabetes, with a specific focus on type 1 diabetes.