Academic User Policy
This policy applies to instruments and services provided by the Cell Imaging and Cytometry Core (CIC) at Turku Bioscience Centre. Every user must read and follow the practices herein.
COVID-19 Pandemic specific instructions here
Publications and acknowledgements
- It is obligatory to acknowledge the Cell Imaging and Cytometry core AND Biocenter Finland in your publications. e.g. Imaging/Flow cytometry was performed at the Cell Imaging and Cytometry Core, Turku Bioscience Centre, Turku, Finland, with the support of Biocenter Finland.
- Once published, please report your publication here.
General instrument usage rules
- No eating or drinking is allowed at the instruments.
- Lab coats must be worn in designated areas.
- Outdoor clothing (jackets/boots) are forbidden in CIC instrument areas.
- Users must keep workspaces/equipment clean by following guides located beside each instrument.
- Users may not disassemble or physically modify instruments. Contact CIC when a customized solution is needed.
- Contact CIC staff by phone and inform of any instrument malfunction or for help optimizing configuration.
- It is forbidden to look directly into a light beam.
Access, training & contact
- CIC staff are available on weekdays 9-15.
- Contact us in our office BioCity 5th floor, room 5077 or by email or phone:
Flow Cytometry: flow (at) bioscience.fi or +358 (0)50 365 1598
Mass Cytometry: masscytometry (at) bioscience.fi or +358 (0)50 365 1598
Microscopy: microscopy (at) bioscience.fi or +358 (0)50 369 7532
Obligatory introductory training (min. 1 h, 30€/h) is required before instrument use. Users must read the instrument user guide before training (available in OpenIRIS or CIC web pages). You may be required to prefill a questionnaire on OpenIRIS so that staff can customize your training to your needs. Users can request additional training if their P.I. consents. CIC staff reserves the right to decide if a user needs additional training or to completely revoke instrument access if the user policy is not followed.
Reservations and cancellations
1) It is forbidden to use the instruments without a reservation.
3) Cancellation times are instrument-specific and can be viewed in OpenIRIS. Late cancellations will be charged. The user must inform CIC staff in advance if they are unable to cancel their reservation.
4) Microscope reservations are for a minimum of 1 h and cannot exceed 4 h during peak times (9 – 17 Mon-Fri). Contact CIC staff when alternative arrangements are needed.
5) Users must check (in OpenIRIS) for upcoming reservations after them and follow instrument-specific shutdown/standby procedures accordingly.
1) CIC premises are biosafety level 1 (BSL1), (except for the Sony Cell Sorters which are BSL2). No samples requiring BSL2 can be analysed at the microscopes or flow cytometer analysers.
2) If you are not sure whether your material is BSL1 or BSL2, classifications outlined by the Gene Technology Board of Finland are here. For further questions regarding GMO classification in Finland contact email@example.com.
3) CIC staff may ask to see your GMO risk assessment approved by the GTLK.
4) For sorting of all human samples collected after 1/1/2020, users must wear an FPP2/3 face mask and safety goggles/vizor and follow instrument-specific instructions/restrictions.
5) Users must inform CIC staff whether or not human samples have been tested for HIV or hepatitis.
1) All instruments are charged per hour. Users are according to academic/industry pricing here.
2) In case of reservation misuse or failure to follow shutdown procedures, users will be billed for additional hours. If the instrument is left on over the weekend, the charge can be significant. P.I.s will be informed.
3) CIC staff charge contact hours and preparation time for workshops/lectures/demos.
Data storage and handling
1) It is the user’s responsibility to save their data and take it with them after using the instrument/service.
2) Files older than 30 days are automatically erased from the operating computers, without prior notice. These files cannot be retrieved. Please contact us to learn more about data storage options.