About the Core
The Turku Metabolomics Centre is a joint venture between six laboratories from Åbo Akademi and the University of Turku, with a primary focus on clinical applications of metabolomics. The Centre brings the constituent laboratories under one organisational structure to jointly provide expertise across a variety of complimentary aspects of metabolomics.
The main focus of the core facility are:
- Large scale clinical untargeted lipidomics and metabolomics assays
- Exposomics analysis in human samples
- High sensitivity/selectivity targeted assays from biological samples (lipids and metabolites)
- Immunometabolism (carbon tracing)
- Untargeted Imaging Mass Spectrometry
- NMR metabolomics
- Assay design
- Data processing and metabolomic specific bioinformatics
The constituent laboratories are:
- The Metabolomics Centre (Turku Bioscience Centre), contributing personnell and instrumentation for the LC-MS analyses.
- The Systems Medicine group (Turku Bioscience Centre), contributing targeted/untargeted mass spectrometry methods for clinical applications.
- The Neurometabolomics Group (Department of Chemistry, Turku Bioscience Centre), contributing targeted/untargeted mass spectrometry methods for the study of brain health and disease.
- The Turku Centre for Chemical and Molecular Analytics (CCMA) (University of Turku and Åbo Akademi) providing tissue NMR facilities using a 1H-HR-MAS probe.
- The Bioanalytical Laboratory (University of Turku), whose primary focus is developing biomarker assays and studying pharmacokinetics under GLP settings for use in clinical trials and drug development research.
- The Food Chemistry and Food Development department (University of Turku).