Description of the Assay
This assay measures 9 endocannabinoids and related structures from blood samples. These molecules play a key role in a wide range of biological systems. In particular, they have roles in brain-to-peripheral communication and diet regulation. This method also detects recent cannabis use which allows for experimenters to control for its effects on the endocannabinoid system.
Sample types accepted
- Whole blood
- Serum (see note below)
Sample handling guidelines
- Samples should always be stored at -80°C and transported in dry ice.
- Ideally, samples should be aliquoted into suitably-sealed, standard containers with labels, to avoid multiple freeze / thaw cycles (e.g. 1.5/2mL Eppendorf-tubes, or larger volumes in Falcon tubes).
- Sample lists/grids should be provided in electronic format along with the samples.
- If possible, provide information on sample collection and handling procedures, including :
- Sample source
- Sample collection date
- Freezing method, length of storage and temperature
- Number and type of freeze and thaw cycles
For endocannabinoid measurements, the ideal sample is plasma or whole blood which is frozen immediately. However, it is possible to perform measurements using serum, however room temperature clotting time must be controlled and consistent (ideally 30 minutes).