Frontiers of Science: Prof. Hilal Lashuel
March 31st at 12:00
Spring 2022 poster
Prof. Hilal Lashuel, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Switzerland
Is Lewy body formation a toxic or protective process?
host: Andrii Domanskyi (email@example.com)
Registration closes March 30th at 12:00
Students and early-career postdocs are welcome to share a virtual cup of coffee and discuss with Prof. Lashuel after the seminar. This is a great possibility to learn hosting skills in friendly environment and create connections for future. Every student are welcome to join, in spite of which research group they belong to.
If you got interested, after registering to the event please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Hilal Lashuel is an Associate Professor of Neuroscience at the Brain Mind Institute and the director of the Laboratory of Molecular and Chemical Biology of Neurodegeneration at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne (EPFL). Research in the Lashuel laboratory focuses on applying chemical biology approaches to elucidate the mechanisms of protein misfolding and aggregation and their contribution to neurodegenerative diseases. The ultimate goal of his research is to develop novel mechanism-based therapies and diagnostics for early intervention and monitoring disease progression. His work is funded by Swiss, European, US funding agencies, private foundations (Michael J Fox Foundation, CHDI), and partnerships with Swiss and international biotech and pharmaceutical companies.
Riguet N, Mahul-Mellier AL, Maharjan N, Burtscher J, Croisier M, Knott G, Hastings J, Patin A, Reiterer V, Farhan H, Nasarov S, Lashuel HA. Nuclear and cytoplasmic huntingtin inclusions exhibit distinct biochemical composition, interactome and ultrastructural properties. Nat Commun. 2021 Nov 12;12(1):6579.
Lashuel HA. Rethinking protein aggregation and drug discovery in neurodegenerative diseases: Why we need to embrace complexity? Curr Opin Chem Biol. 2021 Oct;64:67-75.
doi: 10.1016/j.cbpa.2021.05.006. Epub 2021 Jun 23.
Fares MB, Jagannath S, Lashuel HA. Reverse engineering Lewy bodies: how far have we come and how far can we go? Nat Rev Neurosci. 2021 Feb;22(2):111-131.
Kumar ST, Jagannath S, Francois C, Vanderstichele H, Stoops E, Lashuel HA. How specific are the conformation-specific α-synuclein antibodies? Characterization and validation of 16 α-synuclein conformation-specific antibodies using well-characterized preparations of α-synuclein monomers, fibrils and oligomers with distinct structures and morphology. Neurobiol Dis. 2020 Dec;146:105086.
doi: 10.1016/j.nbd.2020.105086. Epub 2020 Sep 22.
Cendrowska U, Silva PJ, Ait-Bouziad N, Müller M, Guven ZP, Vieweg S, Chiki A, Radamaker L, Kumar ST, Fändrich M, Tavanti F, Menziani MC, Alexander-Katz A, Stellacci F, Lashuel HA. Unraveling the complexity of amyloid polymorphism using gold nanoparticles and cryo-EM. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2020 Mar 24;117(12):6866-6874.
Mahul-Mellier AL, Burtscher J, Maharjan N, Weerens L, Croisier M, Kuttler F, Leleu M, Knott GW, Lashuel HA. The process of Lewy body formation, rather than simply α-synuclein fibrillization, is one of the major drivers of neurodegeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2020 Mar 3;117(9):4971-4982.
doi: 10.1073/pnas.1913904117. Epub 2020 Feb 19.
- Registration is obligatory for online events and links to register are in BioCity Turku website (https://biocityturku.fi/) and advertised in our news feed.
- For Turku affiliated people it is now possible to register to all spring 2022 online seminars in one go.
- Registration closes and zoom link is sent to participants one day before the event.
- For on-site events there is no need to register in advance. If necessary, the on-site event can be flipped into fully virtual even on a very short notice.
- If you are a student and later wish to get a certificate of attendance from the Frontier of Science seminars, please fill in your student number when registering. For on-site seminars please print your seminar diary from here.
- If you wish to follow BioCity Turku news feed and receive up to date information about the Frontiers of Science seminars and other events, please contact email@example.com
- Please note that any audio or video recording of the seminars is strictly forbidden.