CANCELLED Frontiers of Science: Prof. Johanna Myllyharju
November 17th at 12:00
Presidentti auditorium, BioCity
Autumn 2022 poster
Prof. Johanna Myllyharju, University of Oulu, Finland
Prolyl 4-hydroxylation – a druggable protein modification with central roles in collagen synthesis and regulation of hypoxia response
Host: Jyrki Heino (email@example.com)
We hope to invote Prof. Myllyharju to Turku during spring 2023.
Professor Johanna Myllyharju is an expert on the key enzymes regulating hypoxia response and extracellular matrix synthesis. Oxygen and extracellular matrix homeostases are vital for normal functioning of cells and tissues, and disturbances in their balance are associated with many common diseases. Therefore, detailed information on these enzymes is essential for understanding their molecular mechanisms and biological effects in detail. This has already paved the way towards pharmacologic interventions, exemplified by a longterm industrial collaboration to develop enzyme inhibitors that activate the hypoxia response as therapeutic drugs, the first one being approved for treatment of severe anemia of chronic kidney diseases in 2018.
Ollonen T, Kurkela M, Laitakari A, Sakko S, Koivisto H, Myllyharju J, Tanila H, Serpi R, Koivunen P. 2022. Activation of the hypoxia response protects mice from amyloid-β accumulation. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2022 Jul 19;79(8):432.
Elamaa H, Kaakinen M, Nätynki M, Szabo Z, Ronkainen VP, Äijälä V, Mäki JM, Kerkelä R, Myllyharju J, Eklund L. 2022. PHD2 deletion in endothelial or arterial smooth muscle cells reveals vascular cell type-specific responses in pulmonary hypertension and fibrosis. Angiogenesis. 2022 May;25(2):259-274.
Cockman ME, Lippl K, Tian YM, Pegg HB, Figg WD Jnr, Abboud MI, Heilig R, Fischer R, Myllyharju J, Schofield CJ, Ratcliffe PJ. 2019 Lack of activity of recombinant HIF prolyl hydroxylases (PHDs) on reported non-HIF substrates. Elife. 2019 Sep 10;8:e46490
- You can download all autumn 2022 FoS-seminars in your calendar from here: https://seafile.utu.fi/d/db29925e6f0e4becb755/
- Registration is not needed for on-site seminars
- Participation list is circulated in the audience
- If you are a student and later wish to get a certificate of attendance from the Frontier of Science seminars, please print out this seminar diary and after the seminar ask the BioCity coordinator to sign it
- Please note that any audio or video recording of the seminars is strictly forbidden.